The Greencastle-Antrim School District is located in the picturesque Cumberland Valley of south-central Pennsylvania. The district borders the Maryland state line, and is bisected by interstate 81. It lies south of Chambersburg, the county seat of Franklin County.
The school district covers 72 square miles of Franklin County and includes Greencastle Borough and Antrim Township. Transportation is provided for over 90% of more than 2700 students enrolled in grades K-12.
All of the school district's buildings are situated on a 120 acre campus bordered by Ridge Avenue and Leitersburg Street. The primary school, dedicated in 1994, houses kindergarten and grades 1 and 2. The elementary school was built in 1981 and serves grades 3, 4, 5. The middle school, comprised of 6, 7, and 8 was dedicated in 1967. The high school, built in 1960 and renovated in 1994, includes grades 9 through 12. Tayamentasachta, the school environmental center, is also part of the Greencastle-Antrim school complex.
The school district philosophy stresses "Children First."
The educators at Greencastle-Antrim School District have adopted the following as our purpose:
"To create and provide opportunities for students to become lifelong learners and productive citizens."
We hold as our core values:
Commitment - Respect - Integrity - Standards
History of Greencastle-Antrim School District
Antrim School District
Named after the teacher, Enoch Brown School was the first school built in Antrim Township. This was a tuition school erected by the early settlers, who paid itinerant teachers for teaching their children for several months of the year. They had seasonal terms since weather and farm employment determined pupil attendance. In 1764, Brown and 10 of his students were massacred by Indians, during the Pontiac War. After the incident teaching returned to its previous method of a teacher's weekly occupancy in the homes of the children whose parents could pay the tuition.
In 1789 a small, square, log building was constructed, known as the Brown's Mill School. Itinerant teachers instructed students coming from the homes of the area. Throughout this time of the one room schools, there were thirty one in Antrim Township. Some of these schools were used until 1955 when they were transported to either Shady Grove or South Antrim elementary buildings.
With the passage of the School Act of 1934, incentives were given to Pennsylvania's citizens to improve their schools. Interested residents of the Browns Mill community raised enough money to replaced the log building. A larger native stone building was built in 1836 to meet the increasing enrollment of the community. It continued as a tuition school until it was incorporated into Antrim School District's system of free public schools. Students attended this school for the next 85 years until the Brown's Mill Consolidated School was built in 1921.
Greencastle School District
In Greencastle the earliest schools were private and parents paid tuition charges for the training the students received. The first pubic school was a one story log building built in 1807 located on North Washington Street. Several other one story log buildings were in operation as early as 1854. A new building was built on South Washington Street in 1868. The building housed the grade schools and in 1875 a three year high school was added making it possible for children to go beyond the eighth grade. This was the beginning of public secondary education for the community. The first high school provided a three year program with a college preparatory curriculum. Township students were admitted on a tuition basis and in 1910 it became a four year program.
In 1916 a two story brick building was built to house elementary and high school students at the site of the 1868 building. The number of students doubled between 1916 and 1925 and in 1928 a five room building was built. An auditorium and gymnasium were added in 1934. As each year past enrollment grew and the need for more space. A home economics room was built in 1948 and this completed the buildings for the Greencastle School System.
As Antrim Township grew so did the need for more facilities and expanded curriculum. School directors and interested citizens planned to develop and construct new buildings in the Township and move towards a joint school arrangement with Greencastle. In 1954 a union was formed to run the school operation of both Antrim and Greencastle.
July 1, 1965 Greencastle and Antrim came together to form one school district. The schools were operated within a new administrative unit from then on.